Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McHugh continued to s
Each week, The Reporters put their thumbs out to the good and the bad in the world of sports. This week they discuss the NHL paying Wayne Gretzky, fighting in hockey, the "Group of Death" and the Buffalo Sabres disaster season. Bruce Arthur, National Post: My thumb is up to the NHL for finally paying Wayne Gretzky the money he was owed when the Phoenix Coyotes descended into bankruptcy way back in 2009. Gretzky was paid the $7 million he was owed plus interest, so it was closer to $8 million, and all it took was the utter exhaustion of all other avenues - primarily chasing former Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes in court - plus a $5.2-billion tv deal, which must have helped ease the financial strain. It is sad though, that that the league essentially exiled its greatest living player for four years while trying to solve the problem of a team in a ridiculous market that probably never would have existed without Gretzky spreading the hockey gospel in Los Angeles in the first place. Steve Simmons, SUN Media: My thumb is down to the continuing human tragedy that centres around long term fighting in hockey. Just this week the sad and troubled stories of two longtime NHL fighters, Gino Odjick and Scott Parker - career penalty minutes 3,266 - came to light. How their lives have been inexorably altered primarily because of their involvement in fighting and the numerous concussions that have come along with it. Time was, I was ambivalent to the ongoing fighting debate. But not anymore. And Im not sure how anyone, even those in the pro-fighting camp, can sit back now and be witness to so many lives in turmoil. This is beyond being a sporting issue now, this is a social issue. And we dont need to be party to any more tragedies, not when we know they can be prevented. Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated: My thumb is down to the World Cup draw, and not merely because FIFA spent $11 million on an over-the-top exercise that it could have done for a thousand bucks, depending on how fancy the Danish tray. No, my thumb is down because now, like in every quadrennial, we are besieged with the most trite and soul-sucking sports cliché, the Group of Death. Death? Really? In 2012 1.6 million Americans died of cancer. Theres your group of death. This is soccer. Certainly the round-robin competition will be fierce, but can we please start referring to Germany, Portugal, Ghana and the United States as, say, the group of gastrointestinal discomfort? Dave Hodge, TSN: My thumb is down to the complete disaster that is the Buffalo Sabres 2013-2014 season. The owner, Terry Pegula, made this comment when he fired general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolsto – “If you want to win in this league, you have to draft first and get Sidney Crosby or draft second and get Evgeni Malkin.” Well, the proponents of the fine art of tanking would applaud Pegulas mission statement and his methodology - he should have fired Regier and Rolston prior to the season - they should have been replaced by now. Ryan Millers future should have been determined. The Sabres will promise something better to next seasons ticket-holders - but they have ignored the importance of support from the current customers, and will almost certainly draft first or second. Rashaan Evans Jersey . Scotlands Greg Laidlaw made one of two penalty kicks and all three conversions, and Stuart Hogg added a try in the second half. "The most important thing to come out of the game is that we did not get scored against," Laidlaw said. Cheap Titans Jerseys . Chris Johnson singled with two outs off left-hander Jerry Blevins (1-1), and Schafer pinch ran. With a 2-2 count, Schafer ran on the pitch and Upton dropped a single in front of Bryce Harper. Schafer already was rounding third when Schafer bobbled the ball. http://www.authentictitansshopnfl.com/. With the Rangers already leading 2-0, Carey Price was taken down early in the second period of New Yorks 7-2 pounding of the Canadiens in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final on Saturday afternoon. Dane Cruikshank Jersey . The CFL club is making the move after holding its camp and regular-season practices at the University of Toronto campus in Mississauga, Ont. Harold Landry Jersey . -- Once again, Carlos Santana was a huge hit in Kansas City.KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Watching from the bullpen as journeyman Collin McHugh carved up the Kansas City lineup, Astros reliever Tony Sipp only wished he had a bucket of popcorn and a soda. "Its like watching a good movie," Sipp said, "and you dont want to mess up the ending." After McHugh held the light-hitting Royals at bay over seven innings, Sipp and Chad Qualls provided an appropriate ending. They worked the final two innings without allowing a hit in a 3-0 victory Tuesday night that gave Houston its first four-game winning streak since September. The Astros own the worst record in the AL, but have won four in a row on the road for the first time since taking six straight away from Minute Maid Park last May 29-June 3. "I mean, I think were playing hard," said McHugh, who is already on his third big league team in three seasons. "Were coming to play every day, and were putting together a few games here." Houston rookie George Springers homer streak ended at four games. He hit two flyballs to the warning track and finished 1 for 4. Matt Dominguez hit an RBI single in the fourth, and the Astros tacked on two more runs against Tim Collins in the eighth. "Thats what you call an extremely well-played baseball game," Houston manager Bo Porter said. McHugh (3-3) scattered five hits while striking out nine without issuing a walk to earn his first win in five starts. He stranded a runner at third base in the second inning and runners at second and third in the fifth, but otherwise cruised through the Kansas City lineup. The only run Jeremy Guthrie (2-4) allowed came when Dominguez followed up a pair of one-out walks to Dexter Fowler and Jason Castro with a single in the fourth inning. Guthrie left after allowing seven hits and three walks in six innings. The right-hander dodged plenty of trouble, inducing doubble-play grounders in the third and fifth, but still got stuck with his fourth straight loss.dddddddddddd. His last win came April 9 against Tampa Bay. During a nine-start winless streak, Guthrie has allowed just one run on three occasions. The Royals lost for the sixth time in their last eight games, and their pop-gun offence has had a lot to do with the futility. Kansas City has been held to three or fewer runs in four of its last five games, including the 9-2 pounding that Houston dished out on Monday night. Royals manager Ned Yosts frustration boiled over in the sixth inning. He went out to check on Guthrie with the bases loaded and two outs, and was returning to the dugout after their discussion when plate umpire Kerwin Danley met him near the mound. After saying something to Danley, Yost was immediately ejected. "I got frustrated on some calls I thought Jeremy should have got. Its mostly my fault," said Yost, who was tossed for the second time this season. Meanwhile, McHugh continued to slice up the Royals batting order. He struck out designated hitter Billy Butler twice, silenced Eric Hosmers bat and retired the last eight hitters he faced. It was the fourth time the Royals have been shut out this season. "You dont lose confidence, but youre definitely frustrated," Hosmer said. "We definitely should be putting up a better fight. As an offence as a whole, we should be putting up a better performance than that. Were not getting the job done." NOTES: Royals RHP Yordano Ventura will miss his next start due to a valgus extension overload, a condition that causes pain in the elbow. He left Monday nights game in the third inning. An MRI on Tuesday came back negative. ... The Astros left 11 runners on base. ... Houston RHP Jarred Cosart is slated to start Wednesdays series finale. LHP Danny Duffy is on the mound for Kansas City. Cheap Chargers Jerseys Cheap Rams Jersey Cheap Dolphins Jerseys Cheap Vikings Jerseys Cheap Patriots Jersey Cheap Saints Jerseys Cheap New York Giants Jerseys Cheap Jets Jerseys Cheap Raiders Jerseys Cheap Eagles Jerseys Cheap Steelers Jerseys Cheap 49ers Jerseys Cheap Seahawks Jerseys Cheap Buccaneers Jerseys Cheap Titans Jerseys Cheap Redskins Jerseys ' ' '